WELCOME to HAPPY TO BE...This is a blog about my love of Antiques, My family, humor, as humor keeps us laughing and my every Day life...I hope you enjoy your visit...Please leave me a comment to let me know you Came by so I can visit with you Thank You !!...Hugs and Smiles, Gl♥ria

January 4, 2010

~More of my Dining Room~

Hello Guys....well I told you I would show you more of my Dining room this week...so here goes...This is a corner where desk area is....



Now this is one of my oldest Music boxes....It's a "Sympbonia Musik Automat" and it's coin operated from Germany ca. 1740



This plays disc as you can see and I have over 2 dozen differ music disc for it....





This hangs on the wall above my desk....



This is where you dropped the coin and turned the handle to listen to the music....These use to be in salons and Theaters lobbies I got this piece for my 39th Birthday and bought it right out of a collector home









Victorian desk chair....




My desk and crystal Ink wells...this Ink well is from England...Oh and see that sweet little angel Tootsie send that to me 2 year ago for my Birthday...It's so sweet Thanks Toots I use it as a book end....



Leg of the desk








Candle stick phone



One of my "Gone with the Wind" lamps and why they call them gone with the wind is because they were used in the movie....But truth be told they were not even invented until after the civil war 1890 and they were called parlor lamps or oil lamps at that time....it's very hard to find these lamps today that are not a marriage...meaning the globe doesn't match the base etc.



An Angle lamp with an Amberina Shade...these lamps were used in Railroad parlor cars and is a gas lamp ca.1880



A hall lamp with "ruby" glass shades these were very popular in homes when electric was invented....The top shade is called an Elsie design




Now I just wanted you to see how I had the cabinet maker put these Stain glass window in for me....I had this dining room added on in 1996 and I got 4 of these stain glass windows that came out of a church in Marion. Ill....My late FIL had them sitting out in his yard for many years and they were covered with at least 5 coats of paint....He told me if I could get them home I could have them....Well I about broke my neck running to the phone and called a moving company and had them shipped home....Took many Hours to strip off all the paint and re stain them and I also had to re lead allot of them....These just sit in front of the windows that we had put in this room all I have to do is lift up on them to clean....this way if I want to move I don't have to leave the stain glass windows as they are not part of the house....



Bottom of window....









Victorian floor lamp....I made the shade for this many years ago when I was making Victorian lamp shades....This shade is a tulip shape...









This sits under my desk....can you guess what it is??? Well it's a cash register from an old general store....I have had many of my Antique friends that have wanted me to sell this piece to them...but I'm selfish and won't sell it but it's the only one I have found like this....ha ha!! Now I have added a vote poll to the top of my side bar to see how many really want to see anymore of my antiques or not...as I really don't share alot of them because I feel I bore you guys with them...So please vote and let me know if you want more or don't bother us any more with them...Antiques and the history on them are my passion...but I also know many don't care for them....

Many Blessings from my mountain top to yours....until next time






35 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Gloria you know my vote will always be to show more!! I love you antiques and home!

You have so many neat light fixtures! I have a fixture that I am trying to find one more flame shade for. It was missing it when we bought the house and boy am I having a tough time finding one!

Well it's me this time nursing a cold! I can't figure out how to blow my nose and take ornaments down at the same time so Christmas is still waiting to get put away!

blessings
mary

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Love your candlestick phone...thanks so much for the tour...I had a great time! Hope you have a great week!

Blessings,
Linda

Unknown said...

Oh my friend, you know I want to see more and more. My bags are packed, can I come? Can I ,can I? Loved the stain glass window and all the lamps, (DH says I have a liitle problem with lamps, I beg to differ)! I mean what do men really know? I can't believe you made that lamp shade, it's beautiful. I have to go now and look again. Thank you for sharing. I'll have sweet dreams tonight! From my snow covered mountains.
Sandy

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Oh Gloria,
Pleeeeze don't stop showing us your antiques! I love them, I should vote like a 1000 times in your poll for yes! The music box, from 1740 is just amazing, my jaw just dropped! Of course I love that GTW lamp and the desk and well everything! Keep them coming! Hugs, Cindy

Kat said...

Absolutely I want to see and learn more about your antiques! You have the most interesting things and I love to learn about them. The music box is a prime example, I've never seen one like this and it's beautiful! And those stained glass windows are breathtaking. I love the way you place them so that you can move them if you want, great idea. Have a wonderful week! Kathy

ksarra said...

Hi Happy, and Happy New Year to you and yours. Your antiques are amazing, but my favorite part is the history you give on each piece. You have so many TREASURES! Thanks for sharing.

Brenda said...

Wow what a lot of treasures you have. I really love the windows and I am glad you have them ready to go with if you should move.

Abatevintage said...

Gloria,

Wow everything looks great, and it is so elegant. The picture of the Victorian girl is just darling.

Have yourself a wonderful week.

Blessings

♥´¨)¸.+´¸.•*´¨)¸.+*´¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.+´♥♥¸.+´
¸.•*´¨)¸.+*´¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.+´♥ Heidi ♥)

Sue said...

Happy New Year Gloria,
I so enjoyed your antiques, I know how I will be voting, I collect antiques too, and think there is nothing that can compare with them. the history behind them not to mention how beautifully they were made.by all means please continue to show them.
What a pleasant visit.
Thank you for sharing
Blessings,
Sue.

Sue said...

Wow! You have some amazing things. The stained glass is gorgeous...and from not too far down the road from here. I love the music box. I hope you've been well. I'm finally trying to get back to blogging after being gone 2 weeks and having my husband home until today. I so far behind!

Sue

Unknown said...

what great pieces u have. And i know u made sure to put in those cherubs just to make me jealous, huh? lol. mishelle

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Show me more!!!!!! Can my vote count extra???

bj said...

Well, first of all, I never tire of seeing your antiques because you have such unusual and REALLY old ones...very interesting, indeed.
I love that candlestick phone...
Those stained windows are to die for...and, do you dust all this yourself or do you have help? I do remember you saying you loved Swiffers as much as I do!! haaa..
xo bj

Unknown said...

What a lovely home and what very lovely antiques! I enjoyed seeing them all. I'm so glad to be a new follower!

Have a blessed week!

Nancy♥

Lynn said...

Wow, Gloria, you have some beautiful things there!
I hope you have someone who helps you dust it all! *smiley face*

Gypsy Heart said...

Hello lovely lady,
My, what gorgeous treasures you have! I can't believe you made that lamp shade. I am not a true antique type person although I have a few pieces of furniture that I treasure but yes, I'd love to see more! Lots of history here and that fascinates me. I appreciate seeing these items as well as learning more.

It's extremely cold here...and supposed to be in the teens Thurs & Fri. Now that is too cold for me! I am grateful to be safe and warm and have Forrester inside.

Take care and write when you can!
xoxo

Silvia said...

you dont bore me at all, i love looking @all of your beautiful things, you got some really cool things but the desk its absolutely beautiful, they dont make funiture like that anymore,so YES I VOTE TO SEE MORE..
happy new year dear friend, i wish peace,love and health this new 2010..be back later..xoxox

onlymehere said...

So elegant! Love this room.

Dawn said...

I am so Happy to Be seeing your antiques. I love the stories and history behind them and also love seeing how you've displayed your collections. I'm off to vote ~ please share more!
Hugs,
Dawn

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Fascinating, Gloria! You have SO many neat pieces. I love seeing all of this. It's such an education to hear you describe your treasures. Please do continue!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Kim said...

You have such amazing pieces Gloria. I am so in love with that desk and chair. I would plant myself there all the time and just relax with a cup of joe by my side. Ahhhhhh.

Dena said...

Hi Gloria,

Ohhhh, what Victorian yumminess! You have so many beautiful pieces and particularly love your "Gone With the Wind" lamp!

Happy New Year!!

Hugs,
Dena

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

I love to come over here and drool over your things! That desk chair is so sweet, I love it!
Great idea on the stained glass windows. There were 3 beautiful stained glass panels hanging in our dining room and upstairs hallway window when we looked at the house. We half jokingly asked if they were leaving them but...no dice. lol They were gorgeous.
Have a wonderful Tuesday!
~Michelle

Justine said...

I don't collect antiques, but I adore seeing yours, learning a bit about when each one was made, how it was used, etc. This is great stuff!

Does that music thing actually still work after more than 200 years?

I love all those pretty lamps and those stained glass windows! Oh my... I think if they were mine I'd make them a permanent part of the house. They're just so beautiful.

Justine :o )

Barb said...

Dear Gloria, every single area has your special touch. It is lovely...just like you! I consider you a living doll....did you know that?

Sending blessings to you,
Barb ♥

Glenda/MidSouth said...

You do have a lot of nice antiques.
Thanks for sharing them with us.

Melissa Miller said...

This dining room is just filled
with gorgeous and really unique things!

~WOW! Love the desk and the cash register. Everything is so beautiful! :)

Carrie said...

Yes, continue to share your antiques. I enjoy the lessons very much!

Heather said...

oh yes keep showing our antiques and the stories behind them! i love the cash register and the music box. you have some awesome items. and the stain glass windows! wow!

PAT said...

Gloria I love seeing photos of your home. It reminds me of J's Aunt Ruth's.

Thanks so much for this beautiful tour!

Tootsie said...

I want to know all about them...who wouldn't want to? it blows me away how beautiful a collection you have...and that you have put a lifetime into this collection....AND that you have taken the time to learn about each and every little thing you have!
I also want to say....
THAT'S IT!!!! YOU POST THESE THINGS TO TORTURE ME....DON'T YA????
REMEMBER THAT TRUCK YOU AND LENNY HAD AND ALL THOSE BOXES!!! LENNY!!!! GET THE TRUCK READY...I'M COMIN OVER AND I MAY NEED A HAND LOADING UP THIS STUFF!!!
oh...you can keep the angel...lol...since I am the one who gave it to you...it would be RUDE to take it when I rob you! lol
I love your comment today mom...you mean the world to me too! I am so blessed to have such a sweet and loving person in my world! even if I need a passport to see you!

Draffin Bears said...

You have an amazing house, Gloria and I am so in love with all your wonderful Antiques.
I much prefer old to something new.

I hope that you are having a great week

Hugs
Carolyn

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

Oh Miss Gloria~ how I've missed visiting your blog. I've been tending to my sweet sick kitty.

Every time I take a tour through your lovely home...I feel like I'm stepping back into time. Your antiques are so rare. I can't imagine how you've come across them.
although I do recall a certain birthday cake that was put on the back burner to make way for a antique Victorian persuasion.
I never heard if your hubs got his B-day cake.

It was wonderful to see lil'Miss Kyra on her special day. She looks so healthy and beautiful.


I hope your family has a great new year filled with many riches of the heart!

Sweet wishes,
Sara

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Sis...

Ohhh my...just trying to do some "catching up" today! Sheesh...I didn't realize that I had missed so many of your posts...I'm so sorry, Girlfriend!

I have really been enjoying your tour of your dining room! It's one of the most beautiful rooms that I've ever seen...and ohhhh, all those gorgeous antiques pieces!!! Loved seeing your pretty desk and that area! Ohhh...and that lamp...fabulous!!! I'm so glad that you always tell us a little about these pieces...when they were made, etc. I didn't know that it is difficult to find these types of lamps with the matching globes...so interesting!!!

Girlfriend, I love your stained glass windows...they're absolutely fabulous!!! Did your late father-in-law ever get to see them after you refinished them? I just love how you had them made to fit in front of the windows...great idea! Okay...a question...did you have the windows in your dining room built just to fit the stained glass? I'm thinking so...since they are such a great fit!

Well Sis...thank you again for this sweet tour of your fabulous dining room and your pretties! I always...always love seeing your gorgeous home!!!

Love ya, Darlin'!
Chari

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Gloria, you'd better show each and every one of your antiques. I vote "yes". You have the most amazing collection. I fell in love with antique music boxes at a music box museum in Gattlingburg, TN. I've never been able to afford to buy one, but I do love the sound of them, so I bought a record (back when we still used record players). I used to play it all of the time. That desk is gorgeous! You have such an eye for the best antiques. laurie