WELCOME to HAPPY TO BE...This is a blog about my love of Antiques, My family, humor, as humor keeps us laughing and my every Day life...I hope you enjoy your visit...Please leave me a comment to let me know you Came by so I can visit with you Thank You !!...Hugs and Smiles, Gl♥ria

November 6, 2008

~~COUNTRY GOLD LIVING~~~

I Live in the California Foothills.. this is where GOLD was discovered in California...Now we have all these beautiful little ole mining towns all around me...that now have been made into little shops. I thought I would share Amador ,City with you today... this is the shop I worked at for 7 years... This is the window of COUNTRY LIVING...Ooooh Picket and Sue would just love this place..Its all Prim and country style decorating items for your home...
LOOK at that dinner bell...that hangs outside the shop... you can also see part of this little old town..which was built in 1850..don't you just love the high curb?? now the reason they were so high at that time was so you could just pull up with your Horse and wagon and do your loading...Now that building that now is a Museum used to be a Miner Saloon....all these little towns had lots of Saloon and rooms to rent by the hour...if you know what I mean...Miners had to spend there Gold some where... Now if you look you will see the sign that says COUNTRY LIVING.. John and Sandy...

Isn't this the cutest door and see the Iron folding door? that the green and black thing you see there.. these fold up to close the shop and girls let me tell you there are Heavy...All these little shops still have the orginal Iron doors at them...


Sandy got all her Christmas stuff out..as she just had her Christmas Open house this past weekend..Loved this little pillow ...



This is one of her tinsel trees she sells..love all the little stars hanging on it..And the cloche with the bird nest and eggs Oh and that sweet bird cage...




Look at feather tree...this one she had allot of Gardening decorations on...OH and see that life saver? I need that for my sunroom..But Len was with me and said NO!!! I need to go back there when he not with me..because it will come home with me...Now I will have to redo the sunroom for it...Oh well yet another post..





Another little pillow I love what it says "Just be Claus" and sitting on a Bucket bench..John makes all these little Bucket benches that are at the shop...He also makes all the Prim fireplace mantles, Picket fences etc..anything wood this man makes...More feathers trees and Tinsel trees..guess they are making a come back..






One of a kind Santas and snowmen..Now I love the Robin egg blue cabinet..this is a Milk painted piece..sandy has allot of these in her shop, that she use's for her displays..
John and Sandy started this Shop over 28 years ago and at that time they were selling Indian Jewelry that John made and Flower wreaths that Sandy made...They both have come along way...Sandy told me yesterday how we were just old "Hippies "trying to make a living selling our goods...this little shop is visited from Prim and Country gals from all over the world now..I loved working here even when you opened the door up and walk in the smell of all the Yankee Candles just hit you in the face and she always got great ole time music playing...It really is like taking a step back in time...We have so many of these little towns here and all our only 3 miles apart..and why 3 miles?? well this was the Pony Express route.. so rider could change horses and get refreshments...
Hope you enjoyed your trip to COUNTRY LIVING and a California Gold town I will also show you in another post BUFFALO CHIPS which is oldest restaurant in town... and full of antique signs Oh I just love going to eat there..they have the best Hamburger and thick milk shakes you ever had..Yum!!
I just love living in the Gold country with all this history around me and of course all the great antique stores....


Hope all of you have a GREAT day.... Hugs and smiles Gloria




36 comments:

Tootsie said...

I think I would have to stay forever if I got into that christmas shop! lol
thanks for the look....I really need to go there....hmmmm

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

Oh I loved my trip to the mining town with you . What a quaint little shop.

Anonymous said...

Gloria - THank you for sharing about the sweet shop!! WHat great pictures especially since I just figured out if I click on them I can see lots of details!!! (Boy am I slow!)

Blessings to you!

mary

Carrie said...

I enjoyed this tour very much! Thanks for sharing this special part of America.

Anonymous said...

Gloria,

Thanks for sharing those lovely Christmas shop pics.

Thanks for coming over to my blog and giving such a touching pep talk!!! :) Thanks for being such a beautiful person!


Much Love & Respect,
Donna

Four Paws and Co said...

I love visiting shops like this! I don't like to have my DH with me though, for the same reason that you have to make another trip to the store... hee hee hee :0} Diane

Kristens Creations said...

Cute shop! Thanks for visiting me. I guess I don't feel so bad now. (about the time change;) I'm glad I wasn't the only one! He He.

Justine said...

Ooh Gloria, what a terrific post!!!!!!!!!! It's gotta be so cool to live in an area with such rich history, and buildings so well preserved! Wow, it must be truly amazing to walk those streets. I'm not even into prim or country stuff, but I bet I could spend hours walking through those shops!

Justine :o )

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

What a wonderful time you must have had working with Sandy..what great things she has..sure wish I lived closer we could have gone together..I agree you need to go back without Len and pick up the life saver for your sunporch..lol..
those pillows are great..Just be Claus has been a great saler for me..Hope all is well on the mountain..sure miss ya darling..
hugs ~lynne~

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Oh, I'd love to go to Amador City...what a neat, neat place! I love the history behind it and the shoppes were so cute! Susan

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Stayed tuned...it's coming sooner than you think...lol.. hugs ~lynne~

Anonymous said...

Gloria, your post today reminded me how wonderful our beautfiful Gold Country is. I have always dreamed of living in your area, it is truly one of the most beautiful, interesting places on earth. Your friends have a wonderful little shop, how fun it must of been to work there. Hope you are feeling better. Love ya, Cindy

Kim Hardt Originals said...

HI Gloria, Looks like a really fun place to work. Thanks for the tour!
Kim

Picket said...

Morning girl..ohhhhh you been 'changing clothes' up in here lol...looking good over here sis! I came by here yesterday before I left to get my highlights...uh...I mean my HAIRCUT!!!! but it didn't have a place for me to comment! I was beginning to think I had been banned from here! lol I love....love ...love this tour girl...ohhhh I could shop in those places for a while...I loved that little town! You are just get so good with this blogging thing girl...you and Sue just learn so quick....I'm still staying after school doing homework!!!! lol lol Have a great day sweetie! Love ya!

Jessica said...

Oh Gloria~ That is my kind of place....the history and charmng little shops. Thanks for sharing this but now I need to GET there...lol.

Hugs~ J.

RetiredAtLast said...

What an interesting and eclectic mix of elements. Both Sandy and John are obviously very talented. They evidently figured out the Bellamy Brothers song, and decided "to hang onto the old", at the same time they "grabbed onto the new".
Thank you so much for the history lesson.

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Good morning sweet friend..getting the coffee and apple cider ready..stopped and saw the great note from you... I'll enclose close ups especially for you...they have a black lid or a red lid..They are pretty cute...next installment this evening...I look forward to the "long" hours being over soon...hugs ~lynne~

Anonymous said...

How neat Gloria,I would've so enjoyed working in a store like this.And Yankee candles,yummmmmmm.I'll bet you truly enjoyed this job,eh?I'm excited about our next trip going to see antiques and I'm ready for that burger ans shake right now.ha..Ann

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the visit! I want so many things I see...the red pillows.

Tiffany

:o)

Tardevil said...

Thanks for taking me on a little CA trip with you. I've never been there, and that's just the kind of places I like to go to.

onlymehere said...

Love your new header! I too love this shop and don't think I could ever leave it!

Sue said...

mornin sweet G! Dot gave me directions on adding pictures to my paragraphs, yay I did it, now I gotta get out of this nightie before lunchtime! LOL! have a great day sweetie, add me to your blogroll! xoxoxo sue

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

What a wonderful store, and how great your blog looks! I am just SO impressed. I need your help with mine. I haven't worried much about the look of it-too worried about the content. Love your Fall vignette at the top of your blog. You're lookin' great girlfriend.
And how appropriate to see you in my guest book in that red robe! I love it! laurie

Melissa Miller said...

Thank you so much for the laugh today! You are just too cute wearing your red robe. Fast asleep on Laurie's guest book...
YOU GO GIRL!

Lynette said...

I could spend hours there, probably in just that one store alone!! Thanks for the tour - your posts are always so fun!!
Thanks for dropping by today - have a good weekend.
Lynette

lvroftiques said...

Gloria I came by yesterday and couldn't leave a comment but gotta say girlfriend I LOVE goin' tiquin with ya!! Even if it is in cyberspace *winks* What a wonderful shop and area! And these wonderful little towns are only 3 miles apart? Oooooo all those antique stores!! I need to come visit you *winks* You are almost my neighbor after all lol! Anyhoo girl, I LOVED this post!! Vanna

imjacobsmom said...

You live in such a neat area. I could spend hours strolling through that town. I enjoyed visiting John & Sandy's Country Living it must have been fun (and dangerous for me, I'd owe more than I made) to work there. Hope you have a nice day! ~ Robyn

Four Paws and Co said...

Gloria, I'm having e-mail issues so if you answered my e-mail last night, I haven't seen it yet. I have to wait for Chris to look at it... :0{ Diane

Anonymous said...

Hey, Ms. Gloria! Isn't that something? I'd love to see your staircase. We have a closet under the stairs too! Maybe we have twin houses! lol
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Carol said...

Hi Gloria!
So glad you stopped by today for a visit! I love the shop you have featured on your post today. Looks like my kind of place!
Smiles,
Carol

Lisa (aka) French said...

Oh goodness look at all the goodies, thanks for stopping in and your sweet words not to worry I will be just fine;) French

squawmama said...

Hey girlfriend... Great trip around your area... Our next BIG trip planned is out your way... in about a year... Maybe we can meet up then... Loved that little shop you worked in... Thanks again...

(((HUGS)))
Donna

squawmama said...

Oh ya... I love your new look... very classy... HUGS Donna

Anonymous said...

Hey Gloria,

Just popping in to say Hi!!! Have a wonderful weekend!

xoxoxox
Donna

Melissa Miller said...

Had to take a peek at this town again... So sweet. :)
Great job on your new background. It's very elegant. Love it!

ksarra said...

Oh Gloria, thanks for taking me along to these adorable shops. What fun!!!! Even though I have waaayyy too much Christmas stuff, at this time of year something calls me to the holiday aisles of every store! Have a great day, friend. PS You're welcome to drink coffee in your bathrobe ANYTIME!